XO sauce is an umami-packed condiment has it all – savory, smoky, sweet, spicy and salty thanks to key ingredients like dried shrimp and scallops, cured ham, chilies, onion, oil and more. This vegetarian version features a cast of aromatic spices, soy sauce, honey, gar... XO sauce is an umami-packed condiment has it all – savory, smoky, sweet, spicy and salty thanks to key ingredients like dried shrimp and scallops, cured ham, chilies, onion, oil and more. This vegetarian version features a cast of aromatic spices, soy sauce, honey, garlic and shitake mushrooms to create the craveable savoriness that traditional XO sauce is known for. Scramble it into eggs, roast vegetables with it, or dress up a stir-fry. The list of uses for this unique sauce are endless. Read More Read Less
Servings: 12 (2-tablespoon)
- 1 package (3 1/2 ounces) sliced shiitake mushrooms, (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 large shallot, peeled and halved
- 2/3 cup canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 Place mushrooms in food processor; cover. Process until coarsely chopped. Remove from food processor; set aside. Place garlic and shallot in food processor; cover. Process until coarsely chopped.
- 2 Heat 1/3 cup of the oil in large skillet on medium-low heat. Add garlic mixture. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, honey, spices, salt and remaining 1/3 cup oil. Cook and stir 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- 3 Store Vegetarian XO Sauce in airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• XO sauce, the iconic condiment, was first created in Hong Kong. Meant to impress, it is known to be a luxury blend typically made with dried shrimp and scallops, Chinese dry-cured ham, garlic and various chiles. The ingredients, combined in a base of oil, create an intense sweet, salty, rich umami flavor.
• Try Vegetarian XO Sauce in this Tofu Noodle Bowl recipe. Toss Vegetarian XO with fried rice and stir-fry noodles, use to season roasted, stir-fried or grilled vegetables, or with stir-fry tofu. Also great drizzled on tofu, fresh vegetables, plain rice or noodles, ramen, noodle soup, congee, spring rolls and dumplings.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner