"Tagine” refers to both the Moroccan braised dish and the traditional vessel it’s prepared in. If you don’t own a tagine, you can use a Dutch oven to slow cook the chicken and vegetables with fragrant spices, preserved lemon and green olives.
Ingredients 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Paprika
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Pepper Black
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken parts, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Greek cracked green olives
- 1 preserved lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 McCormick® Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock
- 1 Mix paprika, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and salt. Mix 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture with flour in shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Reserve remaining spice mixture. Heat oil in 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 7 minutes or until chicken is browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan. Set aside.
- 2 Stir onions, carrots, garlic and remaining spice mixture into pan. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onions are lightly browned. Return chicken to pan. Add potatoes, olives, preserved lemon, 2 tablespoons each of the cilantro and parsley, bay leaves and stock.
- 3 Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons each cilantro and parsley. Serve with cooked couscous, if desired.