Poke – a Hawaiian seafood salad - has arrived at the grill, with a Far East twist. Sesame, garlic, soy and McCormick Gourmet™ Chinese Five Spice Blend add signature Asian flavor to marinated shrimp and radishes. Char it over the flame, along with baby bok choy. Serve over rice for a bowl-like meal that’s just right for warm summer nights.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Chinese Five Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 medium watermelon radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 mini cucumbers, halved and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Sesame Seed, toasted
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 Mix vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil in large bowl until well blended. Add 3 tablespoons of the vinegar mixture into large resealable plastic bag. Stir Chinese five spice and garlic powder into bag. Add shrimp; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 15 to 30 minutes. (Marinate seafood no longer than 30 minutes.)
- 2 Meanwhile, add radishes, cucumbers, shallot and lime juice to remaining vinegar mixture in bowl. Let stand 15 minutes. Watermelon radishes have creamy white skin & striated pink flesh, with slightly peppery & sweet-almond notes. They can be found at farmer’s markets, organic food stores & online specialty stores. Substitute with regular radishes if unable to find.
Meanwhile, remove shrimp from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. If desired, thread shrimp onto skewers for easier grilling. Brush bok choy with remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
If using wooden skewers, soak thoroughly in water for at least 30 minutes before threading. This prevents them from burning when on the grill.
- 4 Grill shrimp over medium-high heat 2 minutes per side or just until shrimp turn pink and grill marks appear. Grill bok choy, cut-side down, 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly charred.
- 5 To serve, divide cooked rice among 4 serving bowls. Top each evenly with grilled bok choy, pickled radish mixture and shrimp. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.