Prepared in a buttery sauce with McCormick® Garam Masala, garlic, ginger and turmeric, this Butter Chicken (also known as chicken makhani) is the homemade version of your favorite takeout dish.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 4 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Garam Masala Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon McCormick® Crushed Red Pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 Mix Garam Masala, garlic, ginger, turmeric and crushed red pepper in small bowl. Heat large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Toast seasoning mixture 1 minute or just until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to skillet, swirling to melt. Add onion; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Stir in tomatoes; cook 5 minutes. Carefully transfer mixture to blender container; cover. Blend until smooth, scraping sides as needed.
- 2 Return pureed sauce to skillet. Bring to simmer on medium-low heat. Add chicken; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked though, stirring occasionally.
- 3 Stir in remaining butter, cream and salt until well blended. Simmer on medium-low heat 2 to 3 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in additional crushed red pepper to taste and serve with hot cooked basmati rice or warm naan bread, if desired. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.
- 4 Test Kitchen Tip: Start your basmati rice first—this will take longer to cook than the Butter Chicken. Rinse rice in cold water until water runs clear; drain. Place rice in a small saucepan and press gently into bottom of pan. Add just enough cold water to reach about 1-knuckle from your fingertip when just resting on top of the rice. (If you prefer to measure, the ratio of rice to water is about 1:1 1/2, so 1 cup of rice will require 1 1/2 cups of water.) Cook rice, covered, on medium heat about 12 to 15 minutes or until water has been absorbed and rice is tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork to serve.