Rich dark stout plays a starring role in both the cinnamon-spiced chocolate cake and vanilla caramel sauce.
Ingredients 12 Servings
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) cappuccino stout, such as Blue Moon® Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout, divided
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted, plus additional for buttering cake pan
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons McCormick® All Natural Pure Vanilla Extract, divided
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for dusting cake pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 For the Cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 1 (9-inch) round cake pan. Dust with cocoa powder. Set aside. Mix 1 cup of the stout, 1 cup of the granulated sugar, brown sugar, sour cream, 1 stick of the melted butter, eggs and 3 teaspoons of the vanilla in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon and baking powder; stir until just blended.
- 2 Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- 3 Meanwhile, for the Caramel, bring remaining stout and 1 cup granulated sugar to boil in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add cream, cold butter, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla and sea salt; stir until butter is melted. Serve warm caramel over cake.
TIPS AND TRICKS
To easily remove cake from pan, line bottom of buttered pan with wax paper. Or, butter and dust a 9-inch springform pan with cocoa powder. Use a knife to loosen sides of cake from springform pan before removing rim.