Blend spinach, cilantro, jalapeno and El Guapo® Basil Leaves to make a smooth, flavorful sauce to stir into rice! The vibrant green color and fresh herby flavor makes it a great side to serve with chicken, fajitas and so much more.
Ingredients 5 Servings
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 package (6 ounces) baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, stemmed
- 2 teaspoons El Guapo® Sweet Basil (Albahaca)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 medium cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 Place rice in fine mesh strainer. Rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Drain well. Set aside.
- 2 Place 2 cups of the water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Add spinach; cook and stir until just wilted, about 1 minute. Reserve 5 tablespoons of the cooking water; set aside. Immediately rinse spinach under cold water. Drain well.
- 3 Place spinach, reserved 5 tablespoons water, cilantro, jalapeño, basil and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in blender container. Cover. Blend on high until completely smooth. Set aside.
- 4 Heat butter and oil in medium saucepan on medium heat, just until butter is melted. Add onion and garlic; Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes until softened. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until rice is coated. Stir in remaining 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes, covered. Fluff rice with fork and gently stir in pureed spinach mixture. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner