WHAT IS ONION POWDER?
Onion powder is a popular ingredient used in recipes around the world. It’s made from finely ground dehydrated onions that have been carefully dried and processed into a powder. This versatile ingredient is used in various recipes, including soups, stews, dressings, and marinades. One of the biggest advantages of onion powder is its long shelf life. When stored properly in a sealed container and a dry space, it can last up to two years. That means you can use it over and over again to flavor some of your favorite dishes.
Learn more about onion powder and all the ways you can use it to cook.
CAN I USE ONION POWDER INSTEAD OF AN ONION?
Onion powder is an excellent substitute for fresh onions, especially when you're short on time or don't have a fresh onion on hand. The best part about using onion powder instead of a fresh onion is that no peeling, cutting, or crying is needed to get the flavor your savory dishes need!
When substituting onion powder for fresh onions, it is essential to know the correct measurement. A general rule is that one tablespoon of onion powder is equal to one medium-sized onion. You can adjust the amount according to your taste preference.
HOW DOES MCCORMICK SOURCE ITS ONION POWDER?
McCormick onion powder is 100% sourced from California-grown onions. Our onion powder begins in the field as a white onion bulb, harvested at the peak of flavor. Once harvested, they are washed, trimmed, and gently dehydrated. Finally, they are finely ground into a powder you can buy in stores.
DOES ONION POWDER HAVE SODIUM?
McCormick onion powder contains no added sodium. Generally, onion powder is very low in salt, with just 2 mg per teaspoon.
WHAT ARE ONION POWDER USES?
Onion powder can be used in any recipe that calls for fresh onion. It’s a versatile seasoning that enhances the flavor of your dishes. From dips and sauces to soups and stews, it provides an excellent onion taste that pairs well with a range of other spices. You can create a delicious dry dub for pork and beef ribs by mixing onion powder with garlic, salt, ground cumin, thyme leaves, parsley flakes, and ground cayenne. Whether you’re adding it to a veggie dish or a meat recipe, onion powder is an essential ingredient to keep stocked in your kitchen.
WHAT PARTNERS WELL WITH ONION POWDER?
Onion powder pairs well with various savory dishes, like:
- Meat recipes: Onion powder is a great seasoning on chicken, beef, pork, and lamb to add a touch of sweet and savory flavoring. Add onion powder, salt, and pepper to your protein of choice for a simple yet delicious seasoning.
- Veggie recipes: Take your roasted vegetables to the next level by adding onion powder to your seasoning.
- Potato recipes: Whether you’re making mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes, onion powder can bring your recipes that sweet and savory twist to keep everyone coming back for seconds.
WHAT ARE ONION POWDER SUBSTITUTES?
If you’re looking for an onion powder substitute, we’ve got you covered. When you’re out of onion powder, try these ingredients instead:
- Chopped or minced fresh onions: Since onion powder derives from fresh onions, they can easily substitute for one another. Just chop or mince a fresh onion whenever you’re out of powder.
- Fresh green onions or yellow onions: One tablespoon of onion powder equals a half cup of chopped fresh onion. Add sauteed green or yellow onions to your recipes for a hint of sweetness.
ARE THERE ANYFUN FACTS ABOUT ONION POWDER?
Fresh onions produce a complex of sulfur onions that bring tears to your eyes when you’re chopping them. When onions are dehydrated to make onion powder, 96 percent of the water is removed, and so is their ability to make us cry!
GET YOUR ONION POWDER PRODUCTS HERE:
- McCormick Onion Powder
- Lawry's Onion Powder
- Lawry's Casero Onion Powder
- McCormick Gourmet California Onion Powder
TRY OUR FAVORITE ONION POWDER RECIPES HERE:
- Spaghetti with Magic Tomato Sauce
- Onion Garlic Bread
- Spinach Dip
- Herb Crusted Roast Beef
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples
Want to create a meal plan for your onion powder recipes? Need help planning your weekly meals and want to try new recipes? Save your favorite food, dessert, and drink recipes and organize your ingredients with McCormick Meal Planner.