Create your FlavorProfile!
Find just-for-you recipes, save favorites and more when you customize your FlavorProfile.
A key ingredient in dishes across the American South, the black-eyed pea is thought to bring good luck, especially when served on New Year’s Day. Enjoy our version of Hoppin’ John, the traditional dish of black-eyed peas and rice.
Try adding ham or bacon to Zatarain’s Black-Eyed Peas and Rice and serving with a side of collard, turnip or mustard greens. Whether enjoyed as an entrée or side dish, the bold flavors of Zatarain’s Black-Eyed Peas and Rice are sure to be the main event at your dinner table.
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
1. MIX 2 1/2 cups water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter or margarine in 2-quart saucepan until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
2. SIMMER 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent rice and black-eyed peas from sticking.
3. REMOVE from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Add a half pound of sliced smoked sausage to make a complete meal.
1. MIX 2 1/2 cups hot water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 2 1/2-quart microwavable bowl until well blended. Cover.
2. MICROWAVE on HIGH 5 minutes. Stir. Microwave on MEDIUM (50% power) 18 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand in microwave 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Microwave ovens vary; adjust cooking times as needed. Cooking times are based on an 1100 watt oven.
CAUTION: Bowl and contents will be very hot. Use pot holders when removing from microwave.
ENRICHED LONG GRAIN PARBOILED RICE (RICE, IRON, NIACIN, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, FOLIC ACID), BLACK-EYED PEAS, SALT, ONION, TAMARI SOY SAUCE (SOYBEAN, SALT), RED & GREEN BELL PEPPER, YEAST EXTRACT, GARLIC, TORULA YEAST, YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES (INCLUDING RED PEPPER), DISTILLED VINEGAR & NATURAL FLAVOR.
1/4 cup dry mix (66g) = 1 cup prepared