Have a question about one of our products or our site?
Search our FAQs below. Not finding what you need? Send us your question using this form. Sometimes photos are helpful. You can attach a photo or screen shot, including an image of the Best by Date and UPC, to help us get back to you more quickly.
We make every effort to answer our consumers as quickly as possible and will usually respond within 2-5 business days. If this is an urgent matter, or if you need immediate assistance, please call us at 800-336-2763 (M-F 9am-7pm EST).
El Guapo FAQs
Please see below for answers to frequently asked questions from consumers.
- WHAT / WHO IS EL GUAPO®?El Guapo® is the leading Hispanic bagged herbs, spices and seasoning brand in the U.S. and has been providing families with authentic ingredients for over 30 years. Born in Los Angeles, the mecca of Mexican American cuisine, we are passionate about food and understand flavor is deeply rooted in our heritage. Our goal is to share our love with family and loved ones by delivering the most authentic ingredients to help you recreate the flavors of “home.”Food gives us a sense of identity: a connection to our past, present, and future. We understand the importance of keeping traditions alive with the familiar flavors you grew up with. Whether it’s your abuela’s infamous pozole or mom’s mole poblano, there’s pride in sharing the love for our culture with family and friends through food. We’re here to help you recreate the same flavors of those cherished dishes that connect us back to our roots. Food is made con amor and it all starts with the best, high-quality ingredients you can trust."
- WHAT KIND OF PRODUCTS DOES EL GUAPO® OFFER?El Guapo® offers a wide range of high-quality bagged herbs, spices and seasonings that are traditionally used in Hispanic cooking: ranging from dried chili peppers, corn husks and spices.• Chile Pods: includes staples like Guajillo, Arbol, Pasilla Ancho, California, New Mexico• Spices & Herbs: Oregano, Bay Leaf, Whole/Ground Cinnamon, Cumin, Cloves, Ground Chili Peppers, Crushed Red Pepper, Garlic• Other: Corn Husks, Whole/Ground Dried Shrimp, Piloncillo (Sugar), Sesame Seeds, Hibiscus
- WHERE CAN I FIND EL GUAPO®?El Guapo® products are available in stores across the United States. Click here https://www.mccormick.com/el-guapo/where-to-buy to find stores in your state that carry it. You can also find us online on Amazon and Amazon Fresh, depending on your location.
- HOW DO I COOK WITH EL GUAPO® CHILE PODS?Check out our recipes at https://www.mccormick.com/el-guapo/el-guapo-flavor for inspiration, where we feature a variety of traditional Mexican dishes. While it depends on the specific recipe, we recommend the following steps to get the most flavor in your dish:Roasting [optional]: pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, place cleaned chili pods onto a cookie sheet and roast for about 15-20 minutes. Let it cool.Clean: Remove stems and shake out the seeds if you want less heat. Rinse chile pods. TIP: WEAR GLOVES for this step or wash hands thoroughly after touching the seeds/inside of the peppers as it contains capsaicin oil. (Capsaicin - is an active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum. It is a chemical irritant producing a sensation of burning when it comes into contact with skin.)Re-Hydrate: Place cleaned chile pods in a large pot and cover with enough water. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 10-20 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside to cool down. Follow the recipe!
- WHY IS THERE NO INGREDIENT / CONTAINS STATEMENT ON MY SPICE / HERB?If no “Ingredients” or “Contains” statement appears on the product label, then the product is as it appears in the product name (e.g. Chile Quebrado).
- HOW DOES EL GUAPO® LABEL TOP ALLERGENS AND SENSITIVITIES?We are aware of allergies and sensitivities and declare the following ingredients on our label:• Wheat •Egg• Milk & Milk Products • Soy• Peanuts • Shellfish• Tree Nuts • FishIt is important to read the ingredient statement on your package at the time of purchase to ensure accurate, up-to-date information, as product formulas may change. If no “Ingredients” or “Contains” statement appears on the product label, then the product is as it appears in the product name (e.g. Chile Quebrado).Our facilities have allergen, sanitation, and hygiene programs in place. Our employees follow good manufacturing practices and are trained in the importance of correct labeling and the necessity of performing thorough equipment clean-up and change over procedures to minimize cross-contact of ingredients.When major food allergens are present in a product, the allergen(s) will be declared on the label in plain language such as “soy” or “milk” or “egg”, etc. We may have multiple food allergens in our processing plants or used on shared equipment. Through our Food Allergen Control Plan (FACP), we can demonstrate that we prevent inadvertent cross contact. Despite all reasonable measures there may be cross contact with unintended allergens and in those cases, we will add a precautionary statement to our label such as “May contain peanut and peanut derivatives.”
- ARE EL GUAPO® PRODUCTS GLUTEN-FREE?We currently don't offer gluten-free certified products. It is important that you read the "Ingredient" or "Contains" statement on your package at the time of purchase to ensure accurate, up-to-date information.
- HOW CAN I GET COUPONS FOR YOUR PRODUCTS?Thanks for your interest in our products! While we don’t mail out coupons, you will find sales and promotions on our products from time to time in your local grocery store.