You asked, we answered. Read on for a collection of helpful answers from our Test Kitchens to yours!
WHAT CAN I MAKE WITH THESE INGREDIENTS?
HOW TO | SUBSTITUTIONS | RECIPE OR CUISINE | TIPS & TRICKS
What can I do with plain ground beef?
Here are some simple recipes for ground beef with great flavor that use pantry staple ingredients:
1. Easy Bulgogi
2. Taco Soup
3. Easy Pasta Skillet
4. Shepherds Pie
Interesting way to fix cauliflower?
There is a lot you can do with cauliflower because it is so versatile. One of my favorite ways is to roast it with curry paste! It's so simple & delicious. Cut the head of cauliflower into florets, wash, and place on a sheet tray. Drizzle the florets with olive oil and Thai Kitchen Green or Red Curry Paste. I would start with 2 tablespoons curry paste for a small head of cauliflower. With clean hands, toss the cauliflower, oil, and curry paste to coat. Spread into a single layer & roast at 425°F for 20 to 25 mins, flipping halfway through, until browned.
Here are some other great ways to use cauliflower:
- Grind cauliflower florets in a food processor until fine and uses as a substitute for rice in stuffed peppers.
- Feeling adventurous? Try our Vegan Cauliflower Queso.
- Looking for Comfort food? Our Cauliflower Mac & Cheese fits the bill.
- Ready to grill? Give our Grilled Swordfish & Cauliflower Skewers a go!
- Trying to eat healthier? Our Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower & Tomatoes recipe is a tasty way to get your veggies and Turmeric!
Had no fresh meat. Had a can of chicken, and rice but no cream soup, any suggestions?
What about Fiesta Chicken over rice using canned chicken?
Because the chicken is already cooked, you can make it in a skillet instead of the Instant Pot. Drain the chicken well and place in a medium skillet. Next, get creative. Add in canned beans, corn, diced tomatoes--even a cup of salsa would work here! If you don't have the Fiesta Chicken Recipe Mix, feel free to sub in a Taco or Chili seasoning mix. OR you can even DIY! Stir in spices to taste, like McCormick Chili Powder, Paprika, Oregano Leaves, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and some Cumin! Cook 10 minutes, or until heated through, and serve over rice with assorted toppings like shredded cheese, diced avocado, sliced radishes, lime wedges or sour cream. Yum!
What dessert can I make with yellow cake mix and vanilla pudding?
Vanilla Pudding is a great addition when making a cake.The pudding makes the cake even more moist and tender. Here are some great recipes you can make using yellow cake mix and vanilla pudding:
Here's another fun Unicorn Poke Cake recipe, but you'll need 3 packages of vanilla pudding mix.
Have 2 cans sour cherries in water...how to turn into cherry cobbler?
Here is a quick recipe for a Sour Cherry Filling:
- Place juice from canned sour cherries in in large bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoons McCormick Pure Almond Extract (or Vanilla) and mix well with a wire whisk until syrupy.
- Stir in cherries. Use as you would cherry pie filling.
You can even use this filling for our Easy Mini Cherry Pies.
What can I do with catfish fillets?
Here are a few of our favorite catfish recipes:
I just purchased about 13 lbs. of salmon and I need a new way to cook it. What spices can I add to my Salmon before throwing it on the grill? What's an easy but tasty salmon recipe?
Salmon is typically readily available and has pretty limitless variations, so you won't get bored. But unless you want to prepare the salmon all at once, we suggest portioning into 4-ounce individual servings for storage. Wrap each serving individually with plastic wrap and place in an air-tight bag or container. Freeze until you're ready to prepare. Transfer from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw the day you're ready to cook.
Cooking salmon is quick and easy. Here are a few articles we have for Everything You Need to Know About Salmon and A Few Common Mistakes to Avoid When Making Salmon.
Salmon is great as a main dish or perfect to top a fresh green salad. We have so many different salmon recipes on our site, here are just a few of our favorites:
- Asian Sesame Salmon
- Savory Crusted Salmon
- Black Garlic Glazed Salmon
- Citrus Baked Salmon with Orange Salsa
- Mustard Glazed Grilled Salmon
What are some healthy pan meal with chicken breasts?
Here are a handful of our favorite easy, well-rounded sheet pan meals with chicken breast. We suggest checking the nutrition information provided to make sure they meet your requirements for a healthy meal.
- Farmers Market Chicken and Vegetables
- Garlic and Herb Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Chili Chicken Tacos
- Sheet Pan Taco Chicken Fingers with Cheesy Roasted Broccoli
What can I do with plain bone in pork chops? Which spices would work with pork chops?
Pork chops, like chicken breasts, are so versatile, pair well with a variety of spices and seasoning, and can be prepared just about any way you like. If you're looking for a quick skillet recipe, how about Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops seasoned with Garlic, Pepper, and Basil. If you're looking to fire up the grill, try sprinkling the chops with Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon Seasoning before grilling and then serving them with a Brown Sugar Bourbon Glaze.
What can I do with chicken thighs and limited seasoning options?
Here is a simple sheet pan recipe to prepare chicken thighs using Seasoned Salt and Italian Seasoning. If you don’t have Italian Seasoning, try substituting with 1 teaspoon crushed Rosemary. You can use a variety of veggies for this recipe including red potatoes, multi-color carrots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Be creative!
Using a few pantry staples and a little creativity, there's a lot you can do to create great flavorful chicken thighs. Start by mixing some French's Dijon Mustard, Honey Mustard, or even Classic Yellow Mustard with a couple spoonfuls of orange marmalade and a sprinkle of Rosemary for a simple glaze to brush on thighs before baking.
A Citrus Garlic Marinade is another simple way to flavor chicken thighs. Simply juice 1 lemon, lime, or orange, mix in some garlic powder, a splash of vinegar and oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Marinate chicken thighs 30 minutes before grilling or baking.
A simple blend of orange juice and balsamic vinegar also makes a quick and tasty marinade. Add a dash of your favorite spices and seasonings like garlic, black pepper, and even a little cinnamon.
One more easy flavorful idea for chicken thighs: Brush tops of thighs with mustard or mayo. Mix your favorite crunchy topping, like breadcrumbs, crackers, or crushed cereal, with cheese and an all-purpose seasoning like Italian Seasoning, Curry Powder, or Everything Bagel Seasoning. Use crumb mixture to coat chicken before baking in a preheated 425°F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes (for bone-in chicken).
Ways to use tuna in the can besides plain old tuna salad sandwiches?
Here are some great twists on plain old tuna from the can:
- Buffalo Tuna: Mix 1 can tuna with Franks RedHot® & blue cheese dressing in place of mayo or use mayo & RedHot and top with blue cheese crumbles.
- Spicy 50/50 Tuna: Mix 1 can tuna with half mayo & half French’s Spicy Brown Mustard and a splash of Franks RedHot; stir in chopped red onion.
- Sunny Side Deli Tuna: Mix 1 can tuna with half mayo & half French’s Yellow Mustard; stir in chopped kosher dill pickles.
Mediterranean Tuna: Sprinkle 1 can tuna, or plain tuna salad with McCormick All Purpose Crushed Red Pepper with Garlic & Oregano; drizzle with a squeeze of lemon. Great on mixed salad greens.
- Montreal Steak Tuna: Amp up your favorite canned tuna recipe with a sprinkle of Montreal Steak Seasoning.BBQ Tuna Melt: Add your favorite Stubb’s BBQ Sauce and a little mayo to 1 can of tuna. Serve on toast with melted Cheddar or American cheese.
We also have some other tasty tuna recipes, like these: Greek Salad Tuna Pockets, Crunchy Tuna Noodle Casserole, and Sheet Pan Tuna Melts!
What meal can I make with 3/4 of a head of cabbage?
Cabbage is versatile, so be creative. You can make a grilled slaw to serve along with grilled burgers or pork tenderloin. You can even use it add crunch to Fish Tacos, or spread over nachos! Our Old Bay Coleslaw is another easy side, just cut the recipe in half if you don’t have quite enough cabbage for a whole batch. Another great recipe might be Stuffed Cabbage. Try this Recipe for a Creole twist to a classic.
I have 4 very large dark bananas… do you have a great banana bread or cake recipe?
Here are two banana bread recipes that are a perfect way to use up your ripe (or over-ripe) bananas!
You can check out this article with suggestions for some fun mix-ins for your banana bread.
INGREDIENTS | SUBSTITUTIONS | RECIPE OR CUISINE | TIPS & TRICKS
How do you make homemade bread?
Making homemade bread is a great stay-at-home activity! Simply put, breads can be broken down into two broad categories: Quick Breads and Leavened Breads. Quick breads, as the name implies, are made quickly because they rely on quick chemical leaveners, such as baking powder and baking soda, instead of yeast in order to rise.
Give our Double Banana Bread, Cranberry Orange Bread or Pumpkin Bread a try!
If a yeast bread is what you're looking for, more time is required, but with a few simple ingredients you can easily make a loaf of bread. Check out this recipe for a no-knead loaf that may have you making your own bread from now on.
If you’re looking for something quick, there’s no shame in using a mix when baking! Zatarain's Cornbread or Buttermilk Biscuits are great to have on hand, and you can jazz them up by adding shredded cheese and different seasonings. Sprinkle tops of biscuits or cornbread with Rosemary & Sea Salt, Garlic & Oregano, or mix together a flavorful butter to serve alongside. How about a Cinnamon Sugar Honey Butter? Sounds pretty good to me!
How do you cook perfect noodles with the perfect flavor?
- Make sure you have a big pot, enough water, and that the water comes to a rolling boil BEFORE you add the pasta.
- Salted water can do wonders for flavor! Add about 1 tablespoon of salt to 6 quarts of water--this should be enough water for a 16-ounce package of pasta.
- If you're making soups or stews, cooking short pasta in stock or broth will really boost the flavor.
- Cook pasta al dente, especially if using in soups, so it doesn't get mushy. Check pasta about 2 minutes before it's "ready", as cooking times vary based on your water temp and type of pasta.
I am still working while my 3 teens are at home. What are some prep ahead freezer meals they can easily warm up, or meals they can easily prepare? What is something that a 13 year old can cook?
Two words: TACO FILLING. You can either prep this ahead of time and freeze in 2 serving portions for quicker thawing, OR as long as your kiddo knows how to safely use the stove, they can make this themselves along with some easy rice mixes or frozen veggies for a more complete meal. And if you can sneak a chopped-up onion and green pepper into the mix for some veggies, all the better. Be sure to have plenty of cheese and tortillas on hand and your kids can use taco filling in burritos, tacos, quesadillas, stirred into queso, and over nachos (no judgement).
Another family favorite dish are One Pan or Skillet meals. These dishes are a cinch to pull together and freeze beautifully. A few of our favorites are the Chili Cornbread Skillet, One Skillet Lasagna, and Easy Pasta Skillet. If you’re going for bulk, Lasagna is a great make ahead meal; you can portion it out and freeze individual servings to reheat on demand.
What’s the best way to build flavor with my poultry?
Poultry is a blank canvas and takes on flavor in a lot of ways. Marinades and dry rubs or seasonings are easy ways to add flavor using products you already have at home.
To create even more flavor you can layer flavor by using a marinade as your base flavor layer then adding a rub or seasoning on top. Also considering adding another layer by creating a finishing sauce or glaze using French’s Yellow or Spicy Brown Mustard or use your favorite Stubbs sauce to finish.
For fast flavor, try our Quick and Easy Five-Minute Marinade Technique with any of our Grill Mates Marinades or Seasonings:
How do I prepare flank steak?
Flank steak is a lean, flavorful all-purpose cut of beef, suitable for grilling, broiling, or sautéing. Flank steak is often marinated to infuse the meat with flavor and then grilled medium-rare. Make sure to let your flank steak rest 5 to 10 minutes after cooking to allow the juices to redistribute through the meat before slicing. Great as a main dish, wrapped in tortillas for fajitas, or to top a fresh green salad.
Here are a few of our favorite recipes:
- Caribbean Grilled Steak
- Old Bay Cheesesteak Wraps
- Flank Steak with Redhot Chimichurri Sauce
- Puerto Rican Style Stuffed Flank Steak
- Carne Asada Steak
How do I cook a smoked pork shoulder?
Here's a great recipe for Smoked Pork Shoulder from our Test Kitchen:
- Trim most of the visible fat from the outside of an 8 pound pork shoulder/butt leaving about 1/8- to 1/4-inch layer of fat on top.
- Rub all over with Grill Mates Sweet and Smoky Rub or Applewood Rub. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Prepare grill or smoker for indirect medium-low heat (250°F to 300F). Place pork, fat-side up, on unlit side of grill. Add wood chips as appropriate for your style of grill or smoker. Close grill.
- Cook about 6 hours until internal temperature of thickest part of pork is 165°F and there is a nice brown mahogany color crust.
- Carefully remove pork from grill and place in center of large sheet of foil, bringing sides of foil up around pork. Pour 1 cup of liquid, such as stock or apple juice, over pork before tightly wrapping with foil.
- Return pork to grill or smoker. Cook 1 to 2 hours longer until internal temperature reaches 195°F to 200°F, or until meat is tender and bone twists easily.
- Remove pork from grill. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes. Slice or shred with 2 forks. Serve with warm pan juices or your favorite barbecue sauce, if desired.
How do I cook beef brisket?
Beef briskets can be prepared in a variety of ways that will give you great results. The key is to cook it slow and low for tender, juicy meat.
In the Slow Cooker:
For a 3 ½ pound brisket, cook in slow cooker 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH. Using McCormick Pot Roast Seasoning Recipe Mix is a great way to prepare a complete brisket meal in a slow cooker.
In the Oven:
Briskets can also be slow cooked in the oven. Try this easy to use recipe. Don’t have Lawry’s Brown Gravy Mix? You can substitute with McCormick Brown Gravy Mix and delete the Seasoned Pepper Seasoned Salt.
On the Grill:
For a large brisket (about 6 to 7 pounds), try this slow and low method on the grill.
How do I cook pork loin roast?
The National Pork Board recommends cooking pork roasts to an internal temperature between 145°F (medium-rare) and 160°F (medium), followed by a 3 minute rest to allow juices to redistribute through the meat.
Here is a easy to prepare, flavorful way to cook pork roast. If you don’t have peach preserves, try basting with apricot preserves or your favorite glaze during the last 10 minutes of roasting.
How do you make simple vanilla cookies?
Here's our favorite recipe for simple Vanilla Sugar Cookies
If you're looking for something easy but fun for kids, try our Painted Cookie Recipe. Store-bought frosting makes a great base for a fun painting project!
How can I make a Korean style dry rub for bbq?
For a quick dry rub using pantry staples try:
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic (granulated or powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper,
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Use the rub on 1 pound of meat such as chicken, beef or pork. Want to make a marinade? Mix with a little soy sauce, honey or light brown sugar, and green onion to make a paste.
How do you make a good old fashioned Spanish rice?
Here's an easy pantry-staple recipe for Spanish Rice!
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add 2 cups medium or long-grain white rice; stir until rice is lightly coated with oil.
- Add 1 medium onion, finely chopped; cook and stir until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Garlic Powder (you can substitute 1 clove, minced), cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in 3 cups chicken stock, 1 cup chunky salsa (or 1 medium chopped tomato), 1/8 teaspoon McCormick Oregano Leaves, 1 teaspoon McCormick Ground Cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring mixture to a simmer; cover. Reduce heat; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
How do I make the teriyaki sauce?
Teriyaki sauce is typically a blend of soy sauce, rice wine or rice vinegar, a sweetener (like brown sugar or honey), and spices like garlic and ginger. Making a homemade version is a snap! In a small saucepan, mix 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part water. Add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of rice wine or rice vinegar, and about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon minced garlic & ginger. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and stir in a cornstarch slurry (about 1 tablespoon of corn starch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of cold water.) Add to the pan and simmer until thickened.
INGREDIENTS | HOW TO | RECIPE OR CUISINE | TIPS & TRICKS
Is there any bread you can make without using yeast?
One iconic unleavened bread is Irish Soda Bread! Try this sweet recipe, or this savory recipe. Flatbreads make a great base for quick pizza or the perfect snack with hummus. Try this Spiced version. If you want a keto-friendly 'bread,’ try this simple recipe for a poppable snack.
What is an alternative to cream cheese for frosting?
Here is a great recipe for Marshmallow Frosting:
- Beat 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup marshmallow creme, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 3 minutes.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with spatula.
- Beat on high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
What can you substitute and use when you are out of bay leaves?
Add a pinch of whole thyme leaves (up to 1/4 teaspoon in place of bay leaves in any soup or stew recipes. Thyme and bay leaves share a similar savory earthy flavor profile that includes menthol and eucalyptus with a minty background. Thyme is a bit more assertive that bay leaves so just a pinch will do and the flavor will develop as the soup or stew simmers.
Can you substitute for buttermilk effectively?
Yes you can! Here is an easy recipe for making homemade buttermilk:
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar or lemon juice to every 1 cup of milk.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and it is ready to use!
I'm out of mayo what can I use?
If you're looking for a quick swap for mayo in chicken or egg salad, try using sour cream--you can even thin it out a little with a splash of milk or white vinegar, if you want. Greek yogurt is a great swap as well. You can substitute in equal proportions and add a pinch of salt to even out the flavor.
If you're just looking for an easy and tasty sandwich spread, French's Mustard is great, or try mashed avocado or a spread of hummus. Here's a recipe for an easy to prepare hummus.
Have some free time on your hands and feel like making your own? Try this recipe for homemade mayo! It's simpler than you think.
- Place 1 room temperature egg yolk and 1 tablespoon white vinegar in a large bowl.
- Mix vigorously with a wire whisk.
- While whisking, gradually and slowly add 1 cup of vegetable oil. The key here is how slow you add the oil.
- Once all the oil is completely added, season the mayo with salt, pepper, a pinch of McCormick Ground Mustard, Cayenne Pepper and a splash of lemon juice.
Voila, Mayonnaise! (You can also use pasteurized egg yolk in place of the raw egg yolk.)
Once you have your base mayo, try spicing it up! Our Mexican Street Corn Salad, Elotes, is a fan favorite. Or try adding Chipotle Chili, mustard or your favorite BBQ sauce.
Garlic Powder is hard to come by. I know we can use minced garlic, but anything close to powder we can use?
Although it's slightly sweeter and less pungent in flavor, Onion Powder can be used as a quick substitute for Garlic Powder. If you have granulated garlic, you can grind it into a finer powder, or use it as is, at half of the amount suggested in the recipe. If you have Garlic Salt, you can also use this as a direct substitution, but omit about 1/2 teaspoon of salt if it's added to the recipe. 1/8 teaspoon of Garlic Powder is equal to about 1 clove of fresh garlic. If you happen to have shallots on hand, you can use about 1 teaspoon of minced shallots per 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder called for in a recipe.
If I have a recipe that calls for heavy cream, what can I use as a substitute for it?
A great heavy cream substitute is coconut cream. If you don't have coconut cream on hand either, you can make your own heavy cream substitute. Place 1/4 cup of cooled melted butter and 3/4 cup of cold milk in a small bowl; mix well with a wire whisk. If you want it to be a little thicker, stir in 1 tablespoon of flour. This substitute for heavy cream will work well in cooked applications, but will not whip like regular heavy cream.
Another easy way to make a substitute for heavy cream is to add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to 1 cup of milk; whisk thoroughly and use for cooked applications. For a vegetarian alternative, combine 2/3 cup of soy milk with 1/3 cup of olive oil; whisking thoroughly to combine. As a direct substitution, try using half-and-half in place of heavy cream. Half-and-half will whip, but will not be as thick. Make sure to chill your bowl and beaters before whipping.
Can I substitute self rise flour for regular flour?
Yes, you can--IF your recipe calls for baking powder. Self-rising flour is a mixture of all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Self-rising flour will work for recipes that call for 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp. baking powder per cup of flour. When making the substitution, just omit the baking powder from the recipe, since it is already in the flour.
I have a coffee cake recipe that calls for cake flour. I don't have this ingredient, so can I substitute regular flour?
Here's the short answer: Yes! you can substitute--For every cup of cake flour called for in the recipe, use 1 cup of all-purpose (AP) flour, minus 2 tablespoons. Replace the 2 tablespoons of AP flour with 2 tablespoons corn starch or arrowroot powder.
Here's why: The main difference between all-purpose flour and cake flour is the amount of protein--cake flour has a lower protein content. Cake flour is also finer and lighter, so it gives cakes a lighter texture and helps them rise. Basically, protein in flour turns to gluten. Since AP flour has a higher protein content than cake flour, there is more gluten production which gives a denser texture; but it can still be used in its place. You will just need to add some cornstarch or arrowroot, which helps inhibit gluten formation when baking.
Is it acceptable to substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour in every recipe?
In most recipes you may substitute whole wheat for all-purpose flour without issue. When it comes to baking, swapping equal amounts may result in dense baked goods, and sometimes the flavor will be slightly different. We recommend experimenting with the ratio of whole wheat flour to all-purpose flour when baking. Start by replacing 1/3 of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour (i.e. 1/3 whole wheat and 2/3 all-purpose per cup of flour needed) and gradually increase to a half and half blend of each flour, if you find you like the texture and taste of your finished recipes.
RECIPES & CUISINES
INGREDIENTS | HOW TO | SUBSTITUTIONS | TIPS & TRICKS
What are some easy, kid-friendly recipes?
Make creative twists on your kids favorites with these recipes to keep lunch and dinner fresh and fun:
- Flavor Makers Taco Soup
- Flavor Makers Chili Cornbread Skillet
- Air Fried Chicken Nuggets
- Taco Tater-Topped Casserole
- Chicken Cheese Quesadilla
- Baked Taco Chicken Fingers
- Sloppy Joe Pizza
- Sheet Pan Taco Chicken Fingers With Cheesy Roasted Broccoli
Is there a chart of different cuisines recommending spices that we can incorporate?
Here is a link to one of our cuisine pages to get started. Scroll down and click on the “More” tab to explore other cuisines and the traditional herbs and spices we recommend for each.
What recipes can you suggest for shrimp?
Shrimp cooks up in a flash & can take on many different flavor profiles! One of our faves is Honey Sriracha Shrimp Skewers. Using Grill Mates Honey Sriracha Marinade makes this recipe super simple and you can add cut veggies or cubed pineapple to the skewers with the shrimp!
Another easy meal is the Cilantro Lime Rice Shrimp Bowl using Cumin, Paprika, and Garlic Powder. This one dish meal comes together from start to finish in 30 minutes. To make it even faster, sub a rice mix such as Zatarain's Cilantro Rice or the Roasted Garlic Adobo Brown Rice with Black Beans.
If you're looking for a no-recipe main dish, try using one of McCormick's Flavor Cubes: Thai, Mexican, or Cajun would work well with Shrimp. Get creative! Add whatever veggies you have & serve with a grain or salad.
Another easy throw-together dish is a shrimp pasta. Cook a long pasta such as fettuccine or spaghetti, until al dente. Drain and save some of the cooking liquid. Make a quick pan sauce using mushrooms, garlic, cream, some of the pasta water and a heavy sprinkle of McCormick® White Summer Truffle Salt. For a Mediterranean version, try using McCormick® Mediterranean Compete Meal Kit, using Shrimp in place of the Chicken.
What are some good potato recipes?
Potatoes are so versatile!
Here are a couple recipes for easy roasted potatoes:
1. Garlic and Herb Roasted Potatoes
2. Spicy Oven Fries
3. Tangy Sweet Onion Red Potato Salad
4. Creamy and Tangy Potato Salad
5. Creamy Old Bay Potato Salad
Want to head out to the grill? Try this recipe with any type of potato, even sweet potatoes! You can even use your slow cooker for these mashed potatoes. And if you have leftovers, here’s a fun appetizer.
What's an easy chocolate cake recipe?
Here are 2 easy chocolate cake recipes:
1. Triple Chocolate Cake
2. Chocolate Coconut Cake with Chocolate Glaze
You can use whatever chocolate cake mix you have on hand for these recipes.
If you want to make a cake from scratch try this Ultimate Chocolate Cake.
Easy sourdough recipe?
Sourdough bread only takes a few simple ingredients, but it does take time to make! Bonus--if you happen to have starter ready to go, then you are one step closer to baking up a tasty sourdough loaf. If you don't have a starter, or even know what that is, here is an article to help you get baking.
This is another great resource to help you get started with baking your own sourdough bread.
This process may take some time, but the beauty is that once you have a starter made, as long as you keep "feeding" it you will be ready to make a sourdough at any time. Happy Baking!
What is the best crab cake recipe?
Being from Maryland, we have to say- we’re partial to the Classic Old Bay Crab Cake recipe. No onions, peppers, or other unnecessary additions in our crab cake. Get some good quality crabmeat and follow one of our simple recipes for the tried and true favorite. Use our recipe mix to make this Crab Cake, or go homemade with our favorite Classic Crab Cake with OLD BAY Seasoning.
TIPS & TRICKS
INGREDIENTS | HOW TO | SUBSTITUTIONS | RECIPES OR CUISINES
How do you know when spices are old?
Spices should have a strong aroma, potent taste, and vibrant color! If your spice or herb doesn't meet these freshness standards, check the "best by" date on the bottle. Here's everything you need to know.
How do you cook perfect noodles with the perfect flavor?
1. Make sure you have a big pot, enough water, and that the water comes to a rolling boil BEFORE you add the pasta.
2. Salted water can do wonders for flavor! Add about 1 tablespoon of salt to 6 quarts of water--this should be enough water for a 16-ounce package of pasta.
3. If you're making soups or stews, cooking short pasta in stock or broth will really boost the flavor.
4. Cook pasta al dente, especially if using in soups, so it doesn't get mushy. Check pasta about 2 minutes before it's "ready", as cooking times vary based on your water temp and type of pasta.
How do I keep chicken breast moist?
1. Each piece of chicken breast should have the same thickness to avoid drying out the thinner pieces while cooking. You can trim thicker pieces or pound them flat until they are all close to the same thickness.
2. Check the temperature about 5 minutes before cooking should be complete. The internal temperature should reach 165°F; once it’s up to temp, remove it from the heat source immediately. Let chicken rest about 5 minutes before slicing or serving to allow juices to redistribute through the meat.
3. Another way to keep chicken moist is to marinate it before cooking. You can also coat chicken with seasoned mayo before baking to add flavor and lock in moisture, like in this recipe for Tuscan Glazed Chicken.
What's a good addition to cheesy scrambled eggs other than salt and pepper?
Try these spices and herbs in your next batch of scrambled eggs- garlic, onion, turmeric or chives! Check out this recipe for Fluffy Eggs and Chives.
What is the best roasted spring vegetable combo?
Roasted or grilled fresh vegetables are a great addition to family meals! Try some these Test Kitchen Favorites to bring color, crunch and flavor to the table. Don’t have a grill? Use the same recipe and roast the veggies in 400°F oven for equally as delicious results.
- Grilled Seasoned Vegetables
- Savory Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Italian Vegetables
- Old Bay Grilled Vegetables
- Easy Montreal Seasoned Grilled Vegetables
If you want dinner in one simple step, try some of these sheet pan dinner recipes that include veggies and proteins in one simple step!
- Farmer's Market Chicken and Vegetables
- Glazed Salmon and Vegetables
- Bourbon Pork Tenderloin and Vegetables
How do you keep brownies soft?
The best way to keep brownies fresh is to leave them un-cut and covered or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. If they’re already cut, try these tips to keep them fresh: 1. Place in an air-tight container, separating layers with wax paper. 2. Wrap individual brownies tightly with plastic wrap and store in a resealable plastic bag. 3. Place brownies in an air-tight container or resealable plastic bag along with a slice of bread. With any method you choose, always store brownies at room temperature. And if you end up with slightly stale brownies, microwave for 5 seconds at a time.
What are the best herbs and spices to use for meat loaf?
Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Parsley Flakes, Black Pepper, and Salt are good staples to start with. If you have Mustard Powder, it balances out the meatloaf with a bit of zestiness.
What is the ratio of eggs and milk/cream in a quiche?
For a standard 9-inch quiche, use 3 eggs and 1 1/2 cups of milk or cream. For a non-traditional twist, try this Spinach and Bacon Skillet Quiche which uses a crispy hash brown crust in place of pie dough.
Test kitchen Tip: The secret weapon to making a solid quiche is to add a whisper of McCormick® Nutmeg to the custard mix.
What is the best seasoning for carne asada or a feel good marinade recipe?
For a quick, easy and delicious carne asada taco, try our McCormick Carne Asada Street Taco Seasoning.
If you are looking for more of a sprinkle-on seasoning, Lawry's® Casero Carne Asada Seasoning is super versatile and can be used on just about anything.
What is the best way to dissolve cornstarch?
Make a slurry by using equal parts cornstarch to liquid, such as water, stock, or wine. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cool water in a small bowl (a wire whisk works best for breaking up any clumps.) Stir the slurry into your hot cooking liquid until well-blended. Rule of thumb is 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken 1 cup of liquid.
How can I have a long lasting crisp on my chicken wings?
For extra crispy wings in the oven, baking powder, a higher cooking temp, and a baking rack will do the trick.
Pat 2 1/2 pounds of fresh chicken wings dry with paper towels. Toss wings with a mixture of 1 tablespoon baking powder along with your favorite dry seasoning. Place a cooling rack on a large shallow baking pan lined with foil and spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange wings in a single layer on the rack. Bake in preheated 450°F oven for about 55 minutes, turning wings halfway through cooking. This prep makes super crispy wings that hold their texture even after saucing with our favorite Frank's RedHot®!
Can I freeze bananas raw or should I cook them first?
You can definitely freeze bananas raw! Just be sure to peel them and place in a resealable freezer bag or an airtight container. Frozen bananas are perfect for smoothies, frozen treats or thawed and baked into banana bread. For smoothies, you can even pre-sliced the bananas before freezing. The smaller chunks will process easier in the blender. For smoothies, you can even pre-sliced the bananas before freezing. The smaller chunks will process easier in the blender.
How do I keep avocados from turning brown once they've been cut?
If you just need 1/2 an avocado, leave the pit in the center and rub the exposed surface with lemon or lime juice. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and store in a small airtight container. If you're working with mashed avocado, stir in about 2 teaspoons of lime juice and press plastic wrap onto surface of avocado mixture and cover bowl tightly.
Can I freeze fresh herbs like parsley and tarragon?
You can, but frozen herbs will never have the same flavorful impact as fresh unfortunately – finely chop your herbs and roll them tightly into a log shape then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. No bias here or anything, but for the best flavor after fresh, you’re better off using dried Parsley and Tarragon.
Can I put sour cream in burritos before freezing them?
We don’t recommend freezing sour cream when used as a topping because you will unfortunately lose the creamy consistency. We haven’t tested this, but you could try stirring the sour cream into the burrito filling – while you won’t have the creamy topping, the tangy flavor of the sour cream will still come through.
Can we freeze fresh ginger for use in recipes later?
Sure, you can freeze fresh ginger! Your best bet is to grate the ginger finely with a microplane or box grater first. Freeze in 1 tablespoon portions for easy use in recipes. However, our ground ginger is also a great substitution for fresh when you run out! Use about 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Ginger in place of 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger.