Inspired by rustic French cuisine, this dish is a celebration of big flavor. Rub sea bass in a smoky, sweet Basque mix of spices, herbs and Espelette pepper, then cook on a sizzlin’ hot plancha grill surface. The intense heat helps to create a beautiful sear and flavor crust on the outside, with a flaky and moist center. Serve alongside a robust grilled ratatouille of squash, eggplant, bell pepper and tomatoes.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 2 cups diced eggplant, (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 cup red or orange bell pepper, (or 1/2 cup each), cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup diced white onion, (1/2-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup diced yellow squash, (1/2-inch dice)
- 1/2 cup diced zuchinni, (1/2-inch dice)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing plancha
- 2 tablespoons Basque-Inspired Rub with Espelette Pepper, divided (see Cooking Tip for recipe link)
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced plum tomatoes (1/2 inch dice), divided
- 6 skinless firm white fish fillets, such as sea bass, cod or halibut (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Place all of the vegetables, except tomatoes, in large bowl with 3 tablespoons olive oil; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle vegetables with 1 tablespoon Basque Rub and sea salt; toss gently to coat. Set aside. Place 3/4 cup of the tomatoes in blender container; cover. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- 2 Heat plancha (flat cast-iron griddle) on grill over medium-high heat. Brush plancha lightly with additional olive oil. Place seasoned vegetables on the plancha. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until nicely charred and tender-crisp, turning occasionally. Add the pureed tomatoes and remaining diced tomatoes to the vegetables on the plancha; cook and stir until heated through. Remove vegetables from plancha. Keep warm. Reduce heat to medium.
- 3 Season both sides of fish with remaining 1 tablespoon Basque Rub. Brush plancha lightly with more oil. Place fish on plancha. Cook fish on both sides until fish is lightly charred and flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
- 4 Serve fish with plancha grilled vegetables. Garnish with parsley.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip: Click here for Basque-Inspired Rub with Espelette Pepper.