Need a little pick-me-up? Enter this rich, comforting garlic soup. Everything comes together in your Instant Pot®, from roasting the garlic to cooking your homemade soup – in just 20 minutes.
Ingredients 6 (1 cup) Servings
- 1 Peel away papery outer layers of garlic peel, leaving heads whole. Trim about 1/4 inch off the top of each head of garlic to expose tops of cloves, leaving root end intact.
- 2 Place roasting rack in bottom of Instant Pot. Add water to pot. Arrange trimmed garlic heads, cut-side up on roasting rack in pot. Drizzle evenly with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Close lid. Set Valve to Seal.
- 3 Select POULTRY function on Instant Pot; cook 10 minutes. When done, quick-release the pressure. Open the lid once pressure inside the pot is completely released. (Check manufacturer’s manual for safe operating instructions.)
- 4 Carefully remove garlic from pot; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove roasting rack from pot. Reserve remaining cooking liquid; set aside. Wipe inside of pot clean with paper towels.
- 5 Squeeze roasted garlic from the root end and push cloves out into a small bowl, removing any peel that may stick to the cloves.
- 6 Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in pot on SAUTÉ function. Add garlic cloves and onion to pot; cook and stir 2 minutes until onion is softened. Stir in any remaining cooking liquid, stock, pepper and thyme. Bring to boil; cook 3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream; cook 1 minute longer. Turn off Instant Pot and carefully remove insert.
- 7 With center part of cover removed to let steam escape, puree soup in batches in blender on high speed until smooth. (Or puree soup in pot with an immersion blender.) Serve warm with shredded Parmesan cheese and crusty bread, if desired.