For a simple side dish with a slightly sweet twist, try our homemade Coconut Rice. Thai Kitchens® Coconut Milk provides a rich, coconutty base, complemented by toasted coconut and aromatic makrut lime.
Ingredients 6 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) Thai Kitchen® Gluten Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 makrut lime leaf, torn in half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Toasted flaked coconut, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 RINSE jasmine rice with water. Drain well. Set aside.
- 2 BRING coconut milk, water, sugar, lime leaf and salt to boil in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 18 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 3 FLUFF rice with fork. Remove lime leaf pieces. Spoon rice into serving bowls. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and cilantro, if desired.
- 4 Test Kitchen Tip: Makrut lime leaves are shiny, thick, dark green leaves that grow in doubles—as two connected leaflets. The leaves provide a refreshing lemon-lime aroma and flavor typical of Thai cuisine. To get the maximum amount of flavor when using whole fresh leaves, remove the center stem/vein and discard. Dried leaves can be used whole. Makrut lime leaves are available fresh, frozen or dried in Asian markets and online retailers.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Test Kitchen Tip : Kaffir lime leaves provide a lemon-lime fragrance to Thai dishes. They are available fresh, frozen or dried in Asian markets. If unavailable, omit kaffir lime leaf from recipe.