Red Mexican pozole is a rich, comforting soup starring hominy, tender pork and a savory sauce made with Pasilla-Ancho Chile Pods and Guajullo Chili Peppers. Customize each bowl with garnishes like sliced radishes, fresh cilantro, chopped white onions and lime wedges.
- 3 pounds boneless country-style pork butt, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 containers (32 ounces each) chicken stock
El Guapo® Mexican Bay Leaves (Laurel)
- bay leaves
El Guapo® Whole Oregano (Oregano Entero)
- oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Cilantro Leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
El Guapo® Ground Black Pepper (Pimienta Negra Molida)
- black pepper ground
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) hominy, drained and rinsed
- Chili Sauce
- 2 El Guapo® Whole Pasilla Ancho Chili Pods (Chile Pasilla Ancho), stemmed and seeded (about 1 ounce)
- 2 El Guapo® Whole Guajillo Chili Pods (Chile Guajillo Entero), stemmed and seeded (about 1 ounce)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 clove fresh garlic
El Guapo® Whole Cloves (Clavo Entero)
- cloves whole
El Guapo Ground Cumin
- cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 For the Pozole, place pork and stock in 5-quart Dutch oven. Bring to boil on high heat, skimming to remove any foam from surface. Stir in bay leaves, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender.
- 2 Meanwhile, for the Chili Sauce, place chilis in large heat-safe bowl. Add boiling water; cover. Soak chilis 30 minutes or until softened. Remove chilis with tongs or slotted spoon and transfer to blender container, discarding soaking liquid. Add remaining 1/2 cup water, onion, garlic, cloves, cumin and salt; cover. Blend on high speed until smooth. Set aside.
- 3 Transfer pork to large bowl, reserving cooking liquid in Dutch oven. Coarsely shred pork using 2 forks. Return pork to Dutch oven. Stir in hominy and prepared Chile Sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 to 30 minutes until slightly thickened.
- 4 Ladle pozole into serving bowls. Serve with sliced radishes, fresh cilantro and chopped white onions and lime wedges, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION(per Serving)
Go To Meal Planner