Hoppin’ John is another name for this recipe of black-eyed peas, rice and spices. Considered a good luck dish, especially when served on New Year’s Day, Black-Eyed Peas and Rice includes precooked black-eyed peas – ready in under 30 minutes.
Enriched Long Grain Parboiled Rice (Rice, Iron, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid), Black-Eyed Peas, Salt, Onion, Soy Sauce (Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt), Red & Green Bell Pepper, Yeast Extract, Garlic, Spices (Including Red Pepper), Torula Yeast, Dextrose, And Natural & Artificial Flavor.
1/4 cup dry mix (66g) = 1 cup prepared
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
1. MIX 2 1/2 cups water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter or margarine in 2-quart saucepan until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
2. SIMMER 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent rice and black-eyed peas from sticking.
3. REMOVE from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Add a half pound of sliced smoked sausage to make a complete meal.
1. MIX 2 1/2 cups hot water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 2 1/2-quart microwavable bowl until well blended. Cover.
2. MICROWAVE on HIGH 5 minutes. Stir. Microwave on MEDIUM (50% power) 18 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand in microwave 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Microwave ovens vary; adjust cooking times as needed. Cooking times are based on an 1100 watt oven.
CAUTION: Bowl and contents will be very hot. Use pot holders when removing from microwave.
Serves: Makes 4 servings.
Prep time: 5 mins