Cure your cold-weather calls for satisfying, warm meals, like this Matzo Ball Soup. Mix matzo meal with Kitchen Basics® Chicken Stock, eggs and baking powder to make tasty homemade matzo balls. Whip up a rich and savory soup broth starring additional chicken stock, onions, celery and carrots. Add cooked matzo balls and enjoy by the spoonful.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- 2/3 cup matzo meal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 container (32 ounces) Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 McCormick Gourmet™ Bay Leaves
- 1 Mix matzo meal, eggs, salt, and baking powder in large bowl until well blended. Add 2 tablespoons chicken stock and vegetable shortening; mix just until blended. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes or until firm enough to roll. Form into 8, 1-1/2-inch balls. Place on tray. Cover. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- 2 Salt water and heat to simmering in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Drop matzo balls into simmering water and cook for 40 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, cook and stir carrots, celery and onion in a separate large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat until softened. Add remaining chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to simmer. Serve with Matzo balls.