This classic New England style side dish is the stuff holiday dreams are made of. Shucked oysters. Fluffy French bread. Smoky bacon. Seasoned with the robust flavors of McCormick® parsley, thyme, nutmeg and sage. If you’ve never cooked homemade Oyster Stuffing, this is the year to start. Photo Credit: Julie Gransee of Lovely Little Kitchen.
Ingredients 12 (2/3-cup) Servings
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Parsley Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Rubbed Sage
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
- 10 cups cubed French bread, (1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock
- 1 container (12 ounces) shucked oysters, drained or 12 shucked oysters
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet on medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set aside. Reserve bacon drippings in skillet. Melt butter in same large skillet with the bacon drippings on medium heat. Add celery, onion and seasonings; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2 Mix bread cubes, onion mixture, crumbled bacon and stock in large bowl. Add oysters; toss gently until well mixed. Spoon into lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- 3 Bake 40 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Slow Cooker Directions: Prepare stuffing as directed in Steps 1 and 2, except spoon stuffing into lightly greased 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook 3 hours on LOW. Uncover and cook 30 minutes longer.