Chock-full of fresh corn kernels and enhanced with the mild chile flavor of poblano pepper, thyme and black pepper, this is a broth that’s both creamy and savory with a touch of sweet. Garnish with poached egg and polenta croutons - and be prepared for this combo to become a lunchtime, dinnertime, any-time staple.
Ingredients 5 Servings
- Polenta Croutons
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup coarse ground polenta
- Sweet Corn Broth Bowl
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, divided
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Organic Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup semi-dry white wine
- 1 container (32 ounces) Kitchen Basics® All Natural Original Chicken Stock, (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet™ Sicilian Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, (optional: if corn is not very sweet)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted poblano pepper
- 5 poached eggs
- 1 For the Polenta Croutons, bring water, 1 tablespoon of the butter, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper to boil on high heat in 1-quart saucepan. Whisking constantly, add polenta in thin stream. While whisking, bring mixture back to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2 Spread polenta into greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool. Invert polenta onto cutting board. Cut into cubes, about 1-inch thick. Preheat oven to 425°F. Place polenta cubes onto foil-lined baking sheet. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the microwave. Brush polenta cubes with the melted butter. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3 For the Sweet Corn Broth Bowl, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in 3-quart saucepan on medium-high heat until butter just begins to brown. Add 3 cups of the corn and chopped onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add thyme and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute. Add white wine; reduce heat to medium and cook until wine is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add stock, heavy cream, sea salt and sugar, if needed; bring to simmer. Simmer 15 minutes.
- 4 Carefully pour soup into food processor or blender container; cover. With center part of cover removed to let steam escape, process until coarsely pureed. Blend on medium speed 2 minutes. Blend on high speed 2 minutes or until smooth. Strain soup through a medium to fine mesh strainer over the 3-quart saucepan. Keep warm.
- 5 Heat remaining 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet on medium-high heat until butter just begins to brown. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups corn and poblano pepper; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until poblano pepper is slightly softened.
- 6 To serve, ladle sweet corn broth evenly into 5 servings bowls. Top each with corn-poblano mixture, Polenta Croutons and a poached egg.