A quintessential New Orleans dish, traditionally prepared on Mondays when a long stovetop simmer gave home cooks time to do laundry. Today, red bean lovers rely on Zatarain’s for classic flavor in a fraction of the time.
Enjoy Zatarain’s Red Beans & Rice as a main course or side dish. Supplement with sausage, ham or pork chops, or hold the meat and have a tasty vegetarian meal. However you prepare it, Zatarain’s Family Size Red Beans & Rice Mix is hearty but not heavy, packed full of flavor and an instant crowd-pleaser. Family Size means six servings per box – 50% more than regular size boxes.
Enriched Long Grain Parboiled Rice (Rice, Iron, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid), Red Bean, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Malt Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Soy Sauce (Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt), Red & Green Bell Pepper, Sea Salt, Torula Yeast, Yeast Extract, Garlic, Caramel Color, Spices (Including Red Pepper), Dextrose, And Natural And Artificial Flavor (Including Hickory Smoke).
1/3 cup dry mix (65g) - 1 cup prepared
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
1. MIX 4 1/2 cups water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 3-quart saucepan until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
2. SIMMER 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent rice and beans from sticking.
3. REMOVE from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Add a pound of sliced sausage to make a complete meal.
1. MIX 4 1/2 cups hot water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 3-quart microwavable bowl until well blended. Cover.
2. MICROWAVE on HIGH 5 minutes. Stir. Microwave on MEDIUM (50% power) 18 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand in microwave 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Microwave ovens vary; adjust cooking times as needed. Cooking times are based on an 1100 watt microwave oven.
CAUTION: Bowl and contents will be very hot. Use pot holders when removing from microwave.