Craving a Southern fried meal? The secret to any Southern-style fry starts with Zatarain’s. Try our All Purpose Batter on shrimp or fish like cod, trout, redfish and catfish. One bite and you’ll never forget the crispy combination of cornmeal, corn flour, spices and lemon juice.
Enriched Wheat Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Enriched Corn Flour (Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Modified Corn Starch, Sea Salt, Salt, Spices (Including Red Pepper), Leavening (Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Garlic, Guar Gum, And Onion.
1/4 cup mix
DEEP FRYING DIRECTIONS
1. FILL deep fryer no more than 1/3 full with vegetable oil. Heat oil to 375ºF on medium heat.
2. STIR 1 cup Zatarain’s All Purpose Batter and 2/3 cup water in medium bowl.
3. DIP 1 1/2 lbs. fish fillets in batter. Shake off excess. Carefully add fish, several pieces at a time, to oil.
4. FRY 3 to 5 minutes or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Discard any remaining batter.
• For beer batter, substitute 2/3 cup beer for water. Prepare as directed.
• Best with cod, tilapia, trout, and catfish fillets or shrimp. For shrimp, fry 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through.
• To coat 3 lbs. fish fillets or shrimp, use full box and 1 1/4 cups water or beer.
Heat 2/3 cup orange marmalade, 2 tsp. Zatarain’s Creole Mustard, and 1 tbsp. soy sauce in small saucepan on medium-low heat until warm. Set aside. Pour vegetable oil into deep fryer or large skillet, filling no more than 1/4 full. Heat on medium heat to 350ºF. Stir 1 cup Zatarain’s All Purpose Batter and 2/3 cup water in medium bowl. Place 2 cups flaked unsweetened coconut on large plate. Dip 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined, a few at a time, into batter. Shake off excess, Roll in coconut. Carefully add shrimp, several pieces at a time, to hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining shrimp and batter. Add additional 2 cups coconut as needed. Discard any remaining batter and coconut. Serve shrimp with sauce.
Prep time: 15 mins