Celebrities. Your neighbor. Your co-worker. Everyone is talkin’ turmeric. Add this versatile spice to everything from roasted veggies and eggs to curry and salad dressing for earthy flavor and beautiful golden color. Read on for everything you need to convince yourself that, yes, you should jump on the turmeric train too.
Take a sniff. You’ll smell turmeric’s earthy aroma. Give it a taste. Some think turmeric is slightly bitter, but we love it most for its subtle ginger and pepper-like flavor.
Turmeric is best when paired with other spices and herbs. Think strong, warm spices with complimentary flavor profiles, like cinnamon, black pepper and ginger. Outside of the spice aisle, partner turmeric with coconut milk to create authentic homemade curries or a now popular trend, golden milk.
For a feel-good-boost any time of day, give turmeric a try. Scientific evidence has been building around the potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties, of curcumin, a compound in turmeric.
Try these easy tips to add a bit of vibrant turmeric spice to your everyday routine.
• Try honey + pumpkin spice + turmeric for a warm and comforting Golden Milk.
• Add 1 to 2 teaspoons turmeric to your favorite pumpkin, zucchini or banana muffin mix.
• Already noshing on avocado toast in the morning? Add a squeeze of lemon and a few dashes of turmeric for a tasty breakfast. Sprinkle crushed red pepper on top for extra heat.
• Turmeric works well with anything orange — sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pumpkin and carrots. Make baked sweet potato fries by sprinkling oil-spritzed wedges with turmeric and a touch of sea salt and black pepper.
• Stir the spice into a tablespoon of low-fat plain or Greek-style yogurt and swirl into lentil or split pea soup. Or use a few dashes to give leftover marinara sauce new life.
• Fall for turmeric in autumn-inspired smoothies. Try our recipe featuring apples, pumpkin...and turmeric!