Red beans and rice is a traditional Monday meal in New Orleans, originally seasoned with leftover ham bone from the previous night’s dinner. It’s great with sausage or pork chops, or by itself for a great meatless meal. Don’t forget the fresh French bread.
Enriched Long Grain Parboiled Rice (Rice, Iron, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid), Red Bean, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat & Malt Barley Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid), Onion, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Soy Sauce (Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Corn Syrup Solids, Salt), Red & Green Bell Pepper, Sea Salt, Torula Yeast, Yeast Extract, Garlic, Caramel Color, Spices (Including Red Pepper), Dextrose, And Natural And Artificial Flavor (Including Hickory Smoke).
1/3 cup dry mix (65g) = 1 cup prepared
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS
1. MIX 3 cups water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 2-quart saucepan until well blended. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
2. SIMMER 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent rice and beans from sticking.
3. REMOVE from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Serving Suggestion: Add a half pound of sliced sausage to make a complete meal.
1. MIX 3 cups hot water, Rice Mix and 2 tbsp. butter, margarine or olive oil in 2 1/2-quart microwavable bowl until well blended. Cover.
2. MICROWAVE on HIGH 5 minutes. Stir. Microwave on MEDIUM (50% power) 18 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand in microwave 5 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.
Microwave ovens vary; adjust cooking times as needed. Cooking times are based on an 1100 watt microwave oven.
CAUTION: Bowl and contents will be very hot. Use pot holders when removing from microwave.
Prep time: 10 mins