The dried, ground bark of Cinnamomum cassia, Blume. It is brown to reddish-brown in color. The principal active ingredient in the volatile oil is cinnamaldehyde, which is responsible for the characteristic odor.
• Mix 1 tsp. with 3 cups sliced apples for pie, apple crisp or stewed apples.
• Sprinkle over French toast, hot cereal, eggnog, broiled grapefruit or bananas.
• Use on ham, pork, sweet potatoes, carrots or beets.
• Add 1 tsp. to 1 cup pancake mix and prepare as directed.
• Add to brownies, chocolate cake and hot chocolate.
Serves: Makes 6 servings.
Prep time: 15 mins