Prepare cupcakes in school or team colors for school events, graduation parties or sports celebrations. See Cooking Tip for amount of food color to use to tint cake batter and twist frosting. Photo credit: Rachel Currier from Baked by Rachel.
Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding food color(s). Spoon into 18 paper-lined muffin cups.
Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack.
For the Twist Frosting, stir 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and food color(s) for first school color into 1 container (16 ounces) frosting. Stir 1 teaspoon vanilla and food color(s) for second school color into second container frosting.
Fill pastry bag fitted with a star tip with both colors of frosting, placing them side by side in bag. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
Food Color Amounts for Popular School or Team Colors:
1/4 teaspoon Food Color = 25 drops
• Gold Cupcake: Yellow cake mix + 1 teaspoon Yellow
• Orange Cupcake: White cake mix + 1/2 teaspoon Yellow + 1/4 teaspoon Red
• Blue Cupcake: White cake mix + 2 teaspoons Blue
• Green Cupcake: White cake mix + 1/2 teaspoon Green + 4 drops Blue
• Red Frosting: 1 1/2 teaspoons Red + 10 drops Yellow + 15 drops Black
• Scarlet Frosting: 1 1/2 teaspoons Red + 10 drops Yellow + 3 drops Black
• Gold Frosting: 1 teaspoon Yellow + 5 drops Red
• Orange Frosting: 1/2 teaspoon Yellow + 1/2 teaspoon Red
• Green Frosting: 1 1/2 teaspoons Green + 6 drops Black
• Blue Frosting: 1/2 teaspoon Neon Blue + 10 drops Neon Purple
• Silver Frosting: 5 drops Black
• Black Frosting: 1 1/2 teaspoons Black
Test Kitchen Tip: If a pastry bag is unavailable, place 1 tablespoon of each color frosting on each cupcake. Spread and swirl frosting with small knife or spatula.